Head of Powertrain
✈ About us: We believe that aviation will be electric and we need to make this transition happen as soon as possible. Beyond Aero is making long range electric aircraft possible using hydrogen-electric propulsion. Our first aircraft is a zero emission private aircraft, designed for hydrogen propulsion.
In order to strengthen our Engineering team we are looking for a Head of Powertrain (m/f/d)
✈ Roles: Lead the definition, specification, development and testing of the first clean-sheet design Hydrogen-Electric powertrain for a Business Aircraft, making it compatible with the certification, the market needs and production requirements.
Here, ‘powertrain’ encompasses all the components and systems from the H2 tanks to the propulsion fans, excluding structural elements.
- Setup and execute the overall powertrain development logic, leading to release the design of a powertrain that demonstrates compliance with market needs, certification requirements and production requirements.
- Supervise design and serve as final authority on powertrain design decisions on all technical disciplines, including cross-discipline tradeoffs, based on powertrain team analysis, studies and recommendations.
- Lead the definition of the different powertrain ground test benches (FuelCell, TMS, High Voltage, Hybridization, H2 tanks, FCS+BoP+TMS, eMotor+propeller, Aeropropulsion), demonstrators (Half-Powertrain on the ground) and flying test benches (half powertrain flying in a carrier aircraft - probably a KingAir -, before defining Standard0 and serial definition flight test aircrafts) needed for development and certification purposes, manage the flight tests preparation for the powertrain systems, execution, analysis and reports and support the manufacturing process of the prototype powertrain.
- Ensure that the powertrain definition will fulfill the program mission requirements, including (such as, but not limited to):
- Powertrain performance requirements derived from tradeoff between technology maturity and clients needs identified.
- Development costs & timeframe requirements from Program
- Production, Operations, Services and Customer support requirements
- Be responsible for the Make or Buy strategy of the powertrain and select and manage partners and suppliers with Program Director
- Ensure the coordination between the powertrain engineering teams (FCS, thermal, storage, HighVoltage, ePropulsion, PowerElectronics, etc.)
- Monitor costs, schedule, EVM, risks of the powertrain and report them in relevant KPIs to Program
✈ About you
Desired skills and qualifications
- 5 to 10 years of expert knowledge in hydrogen-electric powertrain design, testing and validation
- Must have expert knowledge of design principles across all involved disciplines and be capable of mentoring others
- Ability to define and write requirements for all systems of powertrain
- Must have expert knowledge of the compliance validation process (ground testing) and contribute to the certification plan.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering powertrains to specification
- Ability to work in virtual teams
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
✈️ Your location
You will be working at Beyond Aero office in Toulouse, France. Partial remote working is possible.
✈ Apply: Send an email to email@example.com with your resume, projects/portfolio and lines of motivation with the job title as the email subject.Apply now